Although I have traveled to different parts of the world without troubles, I knew quite a bit street smarts travel tips and safety travel tips. Mainly because I used to travel as a child so I think what my parents talked and did got in to my mind from the early days. Pick pockets and cab drivers driving off with your luggage are some of the most common incidents I’ve heard when traveling abroad. You probably have experienced the same or worse when traveling. So to make your oversea trips as stress free as possible, here are some quick street smarts and safety travel tips.
Street Smarts Travel Tips
- Always go with your gut instinct and use common sense. If it feels weird, then DON’T do it!
- Don’t take anything you would hate to lose. Traveling light as possible is the easiest way to go and most of all, stress free
- Men – Don’t carry your wallet in your back pocket. It’s an easy target for pick pockets
- Don’t leave your luggage, purse or valuables unattended. When you fly, take your valuables in your carry-on luggage
- Don’t be flashy. Wearing your expensive clothes and Gucci watch can make you a target for crime. Try to blend in with the locals
- Use luggage tags (name, address, phone number). If your bag is ever lost, it can be returned to you
- Familiarize yourself with the laws of the country you are traveling to. While in the country, go by their rules and customs
- Know basic words of the country you are traveling to
Travel Safety Tips
- Don’t try to put yourself in dangerous situations like walking alone down empty streets or alleys, especially at nights
- Don’t discuss your travel plans with strangers
- Don’t flash huge amounts of cash or valuables when you are at public places. Be proactive and be safe
- Before traveling take two photo copies of your passport. Leave one at home in an easy-to-find place. If not with a friend or relative. Take the other copy with you
- When eating, if you don’t know what it is by looking at it, don’t consume it. You will save yourself from a stomachache or worse
- Keep calm in any high stress situations (eg: protests)
- Don’t ever leave your drink (water, cocktail, mocktail etc.) unattended
All these travel tips can make you have a peace of mind. Consider taking a travel safety kit on your travels. This can be purchased online from Amazon or you can personalize one on your own to meet your needs (whistle, glow stick, flashlight, water bottle, duct tape, etc).
What street smarts travel tips and safety travel tips you follow on your travels?